Question:

From Shreveport, Louisiana, USA:

My teenage daughter was diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes. She has lost a lot of weight and has blurry vision so her doctor told me to put her on a high protein diet. What type of high proteins foods can I give my daughter?

Answer:

I would recommend you schedule an appointment with a registered dietitian. The RD can develop a meal plan that will optimize blood sugar control (and quite possibly alleviate the symptoms of weight loss and blurred vision that you mentioned). An excessively high protein diet is not recommended for kids (or adults) with diabetes. A nutritionally based meal plan with approximately 50% of calories coming from carbohydrates, 20% proteins, and 30% fats is much more warranted. Ask your physician for a referral if necessary.

JMS