From Mt. Lookout, West Virginia, USA:

I have had type 2 diabetes less than two years, and I have tried diet, exercise, all types of oral medicines, and I just started taking insulin injections but still no change. I even lost 75 pounds, and my sugar levels range from the upper 200s-500s mg/dl [11.1-27.8 mmol/L]. One thing different about me is I have three kidneys! All three normal are size, and all three are functioning. Unlike most people, I seem to still function pretty well with sugar readings of 200-300 mg/dl [11.1-16.7 mmol/L]. Could having three kidneys have any effect on my higher readings?

The high blood sugars may be the cause for the loss of weight. It sounds like you really need to be on insulin. The fact that you have three kidneys does not protect you from the complications that can occur as a result of high blood sugars. This is true, not only for the kidneys, but also your eyes, nerves, and cardiovascular system. It is very important that you work with your physician to normalize your blood sugars as best you can.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2