Question:

From Gilmer, Texas, USA:

Since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes less than a year ago, my husband has lost interest in having sex. He is not impotent, but he is just not as interested, and his interest in becoming less and less. I don't know if this lack of interest is because of his diabetes or if it is in his mind and he blames the diabetes. Please help!

Answer:

The first thing that comes to mind is that your husband is depressed. After all, he recently found out he has diabetes and has probably been asked to make many changes in his lifestyle. I strongly recommend that your husband be screened for depression and, if necessary, receive prompt treatment. Depression is more common in people with diabetes but, with the proper treatment, your husband can learn to enjoy life again and his sexual desire will most likely return.

JS

[Editor's comment: Lack of interest might also be related to other health problems, or to medications (for other conditions, not for diabetes). Be sure that he (or you) mention this issue to his physician. WWQ]

Posted to Other Social Issues