Question:

From Houston, Texas, USA:

Over the last few years, especially since retirement, my father's type 1 diabetes has been more out of control (excessive weight gain, obsession with sweets) possibly linked to depression. Can you recommend a doctor or facility that specializes in diabetes and depression encompassing both mental and physical treatment?

Answer:

Retirement is a watershed event for anyone, and it may very well be that it has caused some depression in your dad. I would strongly advise contacting a counselor with expertise in life stage issues and get some feedback. Your dad may need some fine tuning of his insulin by an endocrinologist as well.

I am unfamiliar with your area geographically, but I am certain that both a competent counselor and an endocrinologist are accessible in the Houston area.

CMB

Posted to Behavior