Question:

From Georgia, USA:

This winter my son has started having bloody noses a couple times per week which seem to occur when his blood sugars are on the high side. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Answer:

I am not aware of any data to suggest that hyperglycemia should predispose someone with type 1 diabetes to bloody noses. If he were in poor control for many years, that can be associated with high blood pressure, which in turn can be associated with bloody noses.

The most common explanation for bloody noses, especially in the winter time, is simply dry, irritated nasal membranes, but please have your child evaluated (the pediatrician should be able to address this) to be certain that there is nothing else amiss in his blood count, etc. If he is having other bleeding other places or easy bruising, be certain to tell his pediatrician.