Question:

From Festus, Missouri, USA:

I am currently on two medications for my diabetes. A week age my family doctor told me I have high protein levels in my urine, and now I am on another medication. Is this common? What do the high levels mean as for as my diabetes is concerned?

Answer:

The urine test for elevated albumin may be a 24-hour urine collection or a spot urine. If the level of albumin is elevated, this is termed microalbuminuria. Higher levels of albumin loss into the urine are termed macroalbuminuria and are present when the traditional dipstick test for protein is positive.

It is common for patients with elevated levels of microalbumin to be placed on medications that have been shown to have kidney protective effects. The drugs used for this purpose come from the class of drugs known as ACE inhibitors or angiotensin II receptor antagonists.

There is evidence from clinical studies that medications from either of the class of drugs mentioned above have the ability to slow any progression of diabetes-related kidney problems. It is not the case that if you have microalbuminuria you are going to get kidney failure. However, it is important to intervene so this does not occur.

[Editor's comment: Also, see How to Protect your Kidneys at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]

DTQ-20030214231131A