From Las Vegas, Nevada, USA:

My eight year old grandson has type 1 diabetes and is on a pump. Even though he is not obese and is solid, I am concerned about his weight (92 pounds). What effect does the diabetes have on his metabolism? Does the pump allow him to eat things he should not by its ability to compensate with a bolus?

While the insulin pump gives your grandson more flexibility, there are still "rules" for food intake. If he is not overweight and doesn't have concomitant cholesterol problems, then exactly what he eats is more related to how he can counterbalance with insulin and activity. If he counts carbohydrates correctly, then he gets more flexibility to make day to day changes in his choices.

Posted to Insulin Pumps