From Sevierville, Tennessee, USA:

I have counted carbs for years to keep weight under control, and my son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age five. When I got over the shock and started really paying attention to what his diet was I realized that his doctors had him on nearly 350 grams of carb per a day, and I have done some research that says he could get by fine on 60 to 70 a day to maintain his weight, but his doctors seem to think he needs that many carbs. So I thought maybe 100 grams would be good for an active, growing young boy. Where can I get more information because I will have to change his insulin if I change his carb intake? I would love to hear from someone who thinks the food guide pyramid is a little off balance.

I recommend that you and your son meet with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. He/she can develop a meal plan based on your son's caloric needs and maintain optimal blood sugar control. Keep in mind it may seem like a lot of carbs for your son, but he is growing and requires the additional calories.

The Food Guide Pyramid is not perfect (sometimes people get the wrong impression that a majority of their calories need to come from the top of the pyramid), but it is a good tool for anyone to gauge their food intake and see where their strengths and weaknesses are. Good luck to you both.