Question:

From Michigan, USA:

Last week I took my 10 year old daughter to the doctor because she has been having periods where she gets shaky, and she seems to always be thirsty. They poked her finger to check her blood and did a urine test. There was some protein in her urine which doctor said could be because she has been up and moving around, but they were sending to lab anyway, just to be sure.

The had me adjust her diet so that she eats food high in carbs and proteins and sips Gatorade throughout the day. When and if she gets shaky again, I am to call, and they will see here as soon as possible. The doctor said that since my daughter is so thin, the carbs boost her sugar level, then when it falls, it bottoms out, and fast. We do have a family history of diabetes. Is there a chance she could develop diabetes also?

Answer:

It is unlikely that she has diabetes. I would suggest you continue to follow the instructions of your daughter's physician.