Question:

From Indianapolis, Indiana, USA:

Where can I get financial support for a doctor, insulin, and other diabetes supplies? If I get insurance from work, it won't cover my diabetes for up to a year since it is a pre-existing condition, and I am not eligible for Medicare or Medicaid because I'm not a mother or elderly.

Answer:

Please see my article Financial Aid.

DM

Additional comments from David S. Holtzman, Esq.:

I am not aware of any source of financial assistance to people with diabetes who do not have insurance coverage for diabetes treatment.

DSH

[Editor's comment: I would inquire as to whether or not your employer's insurance plan has a period of "open enrollment". This is often the case for new employees and at the beginning of the insurance year. Typically during these periods, the pre-existing clause might be waived. SS]

[Editor's comment: See Paying for diabetes expenses Free Drugs and some similar previous questions. WWQ]