Question:

From Wadsworth, Ohio, USA:

I have used Nutrasweet [aspartame] since it came on market, and my family physician said that there was another aspartame related sweetener available that could be used in baking. I tried Splenda [sucralose] for three months, but it seemed to raise my blood sugar level slightly. If there is a type of heat resistant type sweetener on market I would like to compare results. What is name of the new product?

Answer:

The only relatively new sweetener that is heat resistant is Splenda, although it may be marketed under its generic name: sucralose. Splenda is made from table sugar but should not affect blood sugars since its chemical makeup is altered so that your body does not recognize it as sugar.

JMS