Question:

From Bronx, New York, USA:

I am 22 years old, have had type 1 diabetes since I was 12, and a year from now I'm planning on getting married and starting a family. I'm a little bit concerned because, besides having diabetes, I also have irregular menstrual cycles, and I'm wondering whether or not this will affect my chances of getting pregnant. I already have an appointment with a gynecologist to talk about my irregular periods, but any information that you could give me would help me a lot.

Answer:

The fact that you are having periods suggests that you are most likely ovulating and can therefore get pregnant. However, timing a conception may be a problem. There are some ways of increasing the frequency of ovulation. However, consultation with your gynecologist is important.

[Editor's comment: See Planning a pregnancy at the Diabetes Monitor. SS]

Posted to Family Planning