Question:

From Oxford, Ohio, USA:

I am a 25 year old male (6 feet 5 inches tall, 200 pounds) who was diagnosed with diabetes about a month ago, but my doctor has yet to determine what type of diabetes I have. I tested negative for islet cell antibodies, and my insulin level was 5.7 (three tenths under normal). I am currently taking Avandia and a medication for high blood pressure which just started two months. ago. My blood sugar averages 98 mg/dl [5.4 mmol/L] before meals and 136 mg/dl [7.6 mmol/L] after meals. Do you have any insight as to what type of diabetes I have?

Answer:

It appears you have type 2 diabetes based on a measurable insulin level and the fact that your blood sugars are well controlled on Avandia [rosiglitazone] and you do not need insulin. If you had type 1 diabetes, you would not have a measurable insulin level, and your sugars would be very high without insulin.