From Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA:

I work out often and very hard (45 minutes to one hour of aerobic exercise plus 30 minutes weightlifting), and I am on an insulin pump My basal rate during the time of day when I work out most often is about 1 unit per hour What is a good rule to follow in terms of setting temporary basal rates for periods of intense exercise?

Depending on how fast the blood sugar falls and what the pre-exercise blood sugar is, I would consider putting the temporary basal rate at a very low rate and observing the effect. For instance, I would begin at about 0.5 units per hour. The difference in the delivery of insulin is small at these rates. If this does not work, you may have to take a pre-exercise snack or drink. Finally, you will have to determine how low to maintain the temporary basal rate. Sugars will tend to fall, even after the exercise is complete.

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Insulin Pumps