Question:

From Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA:

I am 27 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for the past 18 years, and for the past two years I have developed some type of migratory arthralgia. The pain flares up about once a month and usually affects a different part of the body each time. The pain is so severe, it often keeps me from performing everyday activities such as walking, sleeping, etc. I have been tested for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, both of which I was negative for.

The doctor I was referred to for this problem states this pain is "just a pain diabetics get." I have done lots of research on diabetes and have never come across any type of complication like this. Is there any type of pain like this associated with diabetes?

Answer:

The migratory arthralgias you speak of are not characteristic of patients with diabetes nor of diabetic neuropathy. I would encourage you to get another opinion and see if there is a possibility of another condition causing this.

Posted to Aches and Pains