From Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA:

I am 27 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for the past 18 years, and for the past two years I have developed some type of migratory arthralgia. The pain flares up about once a month and usually affects a different part of the body each time. The pain is so severe, it often keeps me from performing everyday activities such as walking, sleeping, etc. I have been tested for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, both of which I was negative for.

The doctor I was referred to for this problem states this pain is "just a pain diabetics get." I have done lots of research on diabetes and have never come across any type of complication like this. Is there any type of pain like this associated with diabetes?

The migratory arthralgias you speak of are not characteristic of patients with diabetes nor of diabetic neuropathy. I would encourage you to get another opinion and see if there is a possibility of another condition causing this.

Posted to Aches and Pains