Question:

From San Diego, California, USA:

My 16 year old friend, who has had type 1 diabetes for 10 years, has always been so skinny, but recently I've noticed she's been gaining a lot of weight. She is unhappy about it and was thinking about taking the "one-a-day-weight smart" pills. They say they don't contain any ephedra, but natural tea extracts. Is this safe for her?

Answer:

It is very nice that you are concerned about your friend. In general terms, however, it is best, given her unique circumstances, that she simply ask her doctors whether this supplement is acceptable to them and safe for her. There are several reasons why someone with type 1 diabetes might gain weight quickly. The main reason is that the glucose levels are pretty good but the patient is not getting enough exercise. But there are other hormonal conditions that may need to be assessed. As her friend, express your hope for her continued good health, and encourage her to call her doctor or nurse to find the answer that is best for her.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss