Question:

From Asbury Park, New Jersey, USA:

My son is particularly picky about his eating habits so it is very hard to manage his diet most of the time. They say that he can eat anything that he likes, in moderation, but that is the problem. Either he's "not hungry" when it's time to eat, or the suggested amount is not enough for him. He really is not responsible enough with his present treatment plan in order to use the insulin pump, nor am I for that matter, so I can't put all the blame on him. So it's kind of a lose-lose situation. What are excellent snacks for him to have at school that a child would enjoy, but in turn would not affect his blood sugars?

Answer:

You ask a very good question. Low carb snacks such as part skim mozzarella cheese sticks, sugar free pudding or jello, low fat reduced calorie fruit yogurts, or carrot sticks with peanut butter or low fat ranch dressing are good options.

JMS

[Editor's comment: Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin, is a great reference for managing a child with diabetes. SS]