Question:

From Canada:

My two year old was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and is still breastfeeding for perhaps a total of 20 minutes per day and I am wondering if this is affecting her blood sugar levels. I understand breast milk has more carbohydrate than cow's milk, but I do not believe she is getting enough breast milk to affect these levels. How can I tell how much milk she is getting? Can I assume she is getting a certain amount per minute of breastfeeding she does?

Answer:

It is not likely the breast feeding is making a significant impact on glycaemic control. If you wish to find out, you can check her blood glucose one to two hours after the feed. It is generally the overall glycaemic control (hemoglobin A1c) that is important. Your diabetes team should let you know what this is for your child and whether you're in the right level.

JS