Question:

From Deland, Florida, USA:

I am 56 years old, I have type 2 diabetes, and I am on the Atkins' diet to lose weight. Is this diet okay, or should I change to low fat?

Answer:

There have been success stories associated with the Atkins' diet, but at what cost, especially for a person with type 2 diabetes. Evidence has not shown conclusively that a low or no carb diet is beneficial for persons with diabetes. Although any amount of weight loss is beneficial for people with diabetes who are overweight, a safer approach currently is to let the Food Guide Pyramid with its recommended number of servings be your guide. Also don't forget to work consistent exercise into your diabetes management regimen to assist with weight loss.

JMS