From Mount Vernon, Washington, USA:

My son, who has had type 1 diabetes since the age of nine, has tight congestion in his chest from the flu, and he has never encountered has condition. He is drinking as much fluid as he can but is miserable. Since he has no insurance, he doesn't want to go to the doctor or emergency room because he can't afford it. He can't find reasonable insurance so he pays full load for his supplies.What can he take to loosen the tightness in his chest?

I have a great deal of empathy for the insurance, but we have to make sure he is okay now. He should probably contact a physician to make sure he doesn't need a chest x-ray and treatment for pneumonia. In addition, if his blood sugars are out of control, he may need special attention to avoid developing DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis].

Posted to Sick Days