From Rockford, Illinois, USA:

My daughter, who was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, desperately would like to attend an overnight summer camp (which she has attended for the past two years) with her friends. Can a child with newly diagnosed diabetes successfully attend summer camp?

Children who have type 1 diabetes can successfully attend any camp as long as there is someone who knows about diabetes emergency and routine care of a child who has it. I would suggest that you meet with camp staff and review this with them. Your local diabetes educator may be able to assist you with planning for a safe and fun time at camp for your child.

[Editor's comment: For anyone interested, a listing of diabetes camps is available. WWQ]

Posted to Other Social Issues