About a month ago, I thought I spotted blood in my three and a half year old son's urine. I called his regular doctor, who he saw him the next day. They checked his urine and did not find blood, but found sugar in his urine, so they did a blood glucose test which was 96 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L]. They also did blood tests to his kidneys and a new test which checked his blood sugar levels for the past three months which were fine.

They set him up with an endocrinologist, but I am very concerned about the sugar in his urine, and I continue to check his urine sugar level. It will be negative for several days and then start showing some sugar again (some times small amounts and occasionally larger amounts). Is this an indication of the onset of diabetes? Can there be some simple answers?

Sugar in the urine is always abnormal. There are occasional other causes other than diabetes to explain this. It sounds like your son has had appropriate testing and referral for working up this abnormality. I would continue to follow this closely and follow the advice of your son's medical team.