Question:

From Desoto, Texas, USA:

I am 26 years old, and have had type 1 diabetes since the age of six. I have never had ideal control over my disease, and I believe immaturity played a large role in my younger years. Unfortunately, I also struggle with a hormonal and chemical imbalance, dealing with severe depression and bulimia. Since the age of 20, I have not had a health insurance provider to secure coverage for the medical attention I have needed.

Now that I am suffering complications, I am doing everything in my power to overcome the poor decisions and physical weakness in my past. I am faced with the grim repercussions of consistently high blood glucose. I have such high aspirations but can't help myself. I feel like I chose a less positive future for myself when I did not have the discipline I needed to be a healthy person with diabetes. Will I be able to improve my health? Can I reverse any of the damage I have already done?

Answer:

Research that has looked at the effect of blood sugar control on complications has demonstrated that even though you may have already developed complications, you can still slow the progress if you improve your glucose control. Your ability to get good control with an eating disorder is minimized by this condition. You need to seek care for the eating disorder if this is still a problem. Finally, it is never too late to have a positive impact on your diabetes with good control.