From Poplar Bluff, Missouri, USA:

I am 20 years old, and my physician stated that I could be in a honeymoon phase, but she never diagnosed me as actually having a diabetes. She told me to come back for a check up later, gave me a glucose meter, and told me to check it whenever I felt bad.

I have had many hypoglycemia episodes recently with my blood sugar falling to a low of 35 mg/dl [1.9 mmol/L], and the highest I've seen my blood sugar is 175 mg/dl [9.7 mmol/L]. Is this usually indicative of diabetes? If so, would it be type 1 or type 2? Does a honeymoon phase precede diabetes? Diabetes does run in my family, and I am very concerned.

I think you should consult with an endocrinologist and get to the bottom of this.

[Editor's comment: See the definition of honeymoon and Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes guidelines. SS]