Question:

From DeKalb, Mississippi, USA:

Prior to starting insulin pump therapy six weeks ago, I had approximately 40 episodes of hypoglycemia (almost always 50 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L] or below before I had any symptoms) within 30 days. Although my blood glucose has significantly improved, and I have had only two reactions since getting my pump, I am still lacking energy and am having difficulty in keeping up with my college assignments. Just how long does it take the entire body to completely recover from just one episode of hypoglycemia -- or in my situation, 40 in a 30 day span?

Answer:

Nobody knows real answer to this question, but we do not know that one severe hypoglycemic episode begets others since the body seems not able to recognize recurring symptoms as if "drained" of the recognizable symptoms from other hormones like epinephrine, etc. Getting rid of hypoglycemia seems also to allow the body some ability to recover and then begin to recognize hypoglycemia in a better way in the future.

I would also check to be sure that there is no concomitant thyroid or adrenal problem and also no celiac disease since these can also present with severe fatigue as you describe. All three of these conditions are more common in folks with diabetes as they are all autoimmune related problems.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Insulin Pumps