From Eagle Mountain, Utah, USA:

My 21 year old son is having trouble being compliant with his glucose monitoring, and because of his lack of consistent testing, he is being denied a pump by the insurance carrier. I have just read about the SugarTrac non-invasive glucose monitor, and I am hoping this is the real deal. Do you have an opinion about this new monitor?

SugarTrac is a new type of glucose monitor that depends on infra-red technology. Early studies show good correlation with established methodologies, but it is not yet approved by the FDA nor are details on cost, durability of the ear sensor, need for calibration etc readily available.

In the interim your son might consider using Alternate Site Testing. These meter use a very small sample and are essentially painless as well as being capable of storing and analysing blood glucose data.