From Louisville, Kentucky, USA:

I am 32 years old, have had type I diabetes for 22 years, and I recently had a baby by C-section. While in the recovery room, I began to slowly pass out. I was told my respiration rate was almost down to nothing, and I began to experience hypothermia. (My body temperature went down to 89 oF. After being treated by the doctors and recovering, I was told I went into DKA. I have never heard of hypothermia being an outcome of DKA and have never experienced DKA in all the my years of having diabetes. My blood sugar was 80 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L] going into surgery. What do you think?

With a normal blood sugar and assuming that you were receiving insulin I would be very surprised at the diagnosis of DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis]. I would need more information to rule out or confirm this diagnosis.

Some of the causes of hypothermia that fit your circumstances are hypoglycemia, hypothyroidism, adrenal insufficiency, and anesthetics. DKA can affect your body's ability to regulate temperature, and I presume can lead to a low body temperature. Operating rooms are often at a low temperature, and, if the doctor used a cold irrigation solution during your surgery, your core temperature can drop as well.

Posted to Family Planning