Question:

From Bellingham, Washington, USA:

At the time I was diagnosed with diabetes (about eight months ago), I was taking fish oil. I saw a nationally known doctor on TV who researches women's heart disease and stated that taking fish oil capsules every day would reduce your chances of heart disease by over 50%. However, my endocrinologist told me to stop taking it. Is fish oil harmful to a person with diabetes? It seems it would be a benefit to take it.

Answer:

During the late 1980s and early 1990s, there was a significant amount of clinical research using fish oil in patients with diabetes. At first, there was a concern that it would decrease glucose control. However, I think that was dispelled over time. It would also have the additional benefit of treating the abnormal lipid profile of patients with diabetes. This is especially true for the high triglycerides and low HDL-Cholesterol. I do not think you can incriminate the fish oil for your diabetes.