From Valparaiso, Indiana, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for 14 years, I check my blood sugars about four to five times per day now, and my hemoglobin A1cs have been pretty good. I am runner and keep in pretty good shape. Recently however, I have been getting a tingling feeling in my fingertips. Any suggestions?

Neuropathy can present as numbness and tingling. However, the feet are also usually involved. The reason the condition presents in the extremities is that the neurons that innervate the extremities are the longest neurons in the body and have the greatest chance of being involved.

If there are no other symptoms in the feet, I am not sure if this is from diabetes or not. It sounds like you take good care of yourself which is the best insurance of protection from the long-term complications. However, neuropathy appears to be very difficult to prevent. Despite the ability to perform fancy neurophysiologic tests, neuropathy is still diagnosed by clinical parameters. These often include findings of your ability to perceive light touch, vibration, and ankle reflexes. Some of the larger academic centers perform nerve conduction studies, in addition to other screens.