Question:

From Hong Kong:

I recently read an article in a magazine about symptom of diabetes in teenagers, and I found that I had six of the eight they listed. I am really scared that I may have diabetes because I do eat and drink a lot of sugar. I am not overweight at all. My parents will not take me to get a check up (waste money/time as they are 'sure' that I don't have diabetes), and I don't know where to get one. Is it possible that I have diabetes?

Answer:

I do not know what your symptoms are, but if you are concerned you have diabetes, then you can have a simple urine test. Your own family doctor should be able to do this.

JS

[Editor's comment: Urine sugar tests (or home glucose testing), if done, might be positive, which would make the situation urgent to get lab testing done to confirm the abnormal results. However, urine or home glucose testing, if negative, would not completely exclude diabetes. Testing for diabetes should include blood sugar levels performed by a medical laboratory. The timing of the sample (fasting, random, or postprandial) would influence how high a level is considered abnormal. See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes for further information. WWQ]