Question:

From Nancy, France:

Our newborn baby has very high blood insulin (values up to 65) after two weeks treatment with glucose and baby milk to stabilise her glucose (about 3 mmol/L [54 mg/dl] ). Normally values should be around 16. What is the reason for this high insulin content?

Answer:

There are several possible causes for your baby's high insulin levels. First of all, I'd advise you a check the measuring units because there are very different interpretations as to whether the results are in microU/ml in comparison to pmmol/L. Furthermore, I'd check also when the sample was taken because 65 figure may not be high at all if this was drawn after a period of a feeding with glucose and formula. Please talk again to your pediatrician and repeat over the next month the testing, which I expect might be quite normal.