Question:

From Brownsburg, Indiana, USA:

I have diabetes, controlled with diabetes pills. I have had acute diarrhea for a long time which seems to be periodic throughout the year. I take Imodium AD but still have terrible problems. Is this or can this be connected to my diabetes?

Answer:

Although you use the word acute, it sounds to me like this is a chronic diarrhea. It is true that diabetes can cause diarrhea. However, a number of other conditions need to be ruled out. These other conditions include a chronic infection from bacteria or parasite, malabsorption syndrome (including celiac disease that is common in type 1 diabetes), bacterial overgrowth syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, and other functional problems. You need to be working with your physician to evaluate the diarrhea. The clinical testing is not necessarily extensive but will help to identify the cause. With the cause known, the treatment can be more specific.