Question:

From Hill City, Kansas, USA:

I have heard through the "grapevine" that there is a new type of insulin out that a mother gives to her type 1 kids once a day only and that their blood sugar levels remain normal, regardless of what they eat. I know this is limited information, but does this sound plausible to you?

Answer:

I imagine that the new insulin that you have heard about is Lantus (insulin glargine). This is usually given once a day at bedtime and is released evenly over the following 24 hours. It cannot be given with other insulins so of course postprandial glucose rises still have to be dealt with by Humalog or NovoLog. You will need your doctor's help in making any change.

DTQ-20030228140513C
Posted to Insulin Analogs