From Alavarado, Texas, USA:

I just had a complete metabolic panel done. My serum glucose was 112 mg/dl [6.2 mmol/L], my carbon dioxide total was 18, and the rest of the tests were in normal range. I would like to know what this means.

The glucose level, if fasting, is considered to be less than that required for the diagnosis of diabetes. However, fasting blood sugars of 110-126 mg/dl [6.1-7 mmol/L] are considered impaired fasting glucose and consistent with the diagnosis of prediabetes, a condition that suggests you are at very high risk for developing type 2 diabetes. After ten years, this number is 90%,unless you intervene with lifestyle intervention involving diet and exercise, or the use of a medication.

The carbon dioxide of 18 may not mean anything. However, I would suggest you correlate with other lab tests, including your urinalysis.I would suggest you discuss these results with your physician.