Question:

From Alavarado, Texas, USA:

I just had a complete metabolic panel done. My serum glucose was 112 mg/dl [6.2 mmol/L], my carbon dioxide total was 18, and the rest of the tests were in normal range. I would like to know what this means.

Answer:

The glucose level, if fasting, is considered to be less than that required for the diagnosis of diabetes. However, fasting blood sugars of 110-126 mg/dl [6.1-7 mmol/L] are considered impaired fasting glucose and consistent with the diagnosis of prediabetes, a condition that suggests you are at very high risk for developing type 2 diabetes. After ten years, this number is 90%,unless you intervene with lifestyle intervention involving diet and exercise, or the use of a medication.

The carbon dioxide of 18 may not mean anything. However, I would suggest you correlate with other lab tests, including your urinalysis.I would suggest you discuss these results with your physician.