From Billings, Montana, USA:

My 41 year old son is taking Avandia, [rosiglitazone], Glucophage [metformin], and insulin for his diabetes, but he is not doing well and is putting on a great amount of weight. Is this an acceptable regimen for his condition?

With the information you have provided, I am not able to determine if his therapy is adequate. However, if you say to me that his sugars are still high, then he is not adequately treated.

The adequacy of his treatment has a lot to do with lifestyle choices he makes and how he uses the insulin he takes. His insulin doses and multiple medications suggest he has insulin resistance which means he has to take a lot of insulin to overcome it. Resistance can be made worse by increasing weight gain. Controlling weight gain is difficult but begins with appropriate diet and exercise. I am sorry, I cannot give you a simple yes or no answer.