Question:

From Brockport, New York, USA:

My 28 year old son-in-law has had type 1 diabetes for 10 years., and since my seven year old grandson has been showing symptoms (excessive fluid intake, excessive urinating, excessive sweating) for about 3 years, his father tests his glucose level monthly., and last evening it was 342 mg/dl [19 mmol/L]. He was taken to his pediatrician, but as usual, the pediatrician asked my daughter "Do you want him to have it?" Should my grandson be sent to a specialist at this point? Are there any preventive measures?

Answer:

I would seek care from a physician who will objectively review these concerns and do appropriate lab testing as soon as possible. If your grandson indeed has diabetes, now is the time to seek care.