Question:

From Columbus, Ohio, USA:

My 13-year-old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes four years ago. About 18 months later, he was diagnosed with ADHD and began taking medications for that. Sometimes he takes an ADHD medication "holiday," during which he needs about 30% more insulin. He is on an insulin pump and does an excellent job of counting carbohydrates. What is it about the ADHD medications that makes this difference?

Answer:

My best guess, and it is a guess, is that the holiday is associated with greater food intake. If that isn't true, I don't know why the extra insulin. I have no "metabolic" explanation if it isn't food intake.

Posted to Other Medications and ADHD