Question:

From Westbury, New York, USA:

My best friend almost died this past summer, and as a result she needs to test herself several times a day. She also has lost a good portion of her vision. I am trying to find out which meter would work best for her. She is tired of pricking herself and has problems reading the results at times. Are there a few monitors you recommend?

Answer:

I don't want to get into the recommendation of commercial products. There are many good meters on the market that work well. However, you would probably do best to find a diabetes education team near your friend's home and have someone demonstrate the meters for you both. This would allow you to actually see the meters and instant feedback could be provided for such things as ease of use, size of the numerical display, and comparison of products. If you or your friend's physician do not know how to get in contact with a diabetes educator, I would recommend you contact your local hospital or medical center, or call 1-800-TEAMUP4.

[Editor's comment: You and your friend may want to review the information about meters at this website: see Blood Glucose Meters. WWQ]