Question:

From Batesville, Arkansas, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes treated with insulin and oral hypoglycemic agents. If you start rejecting the insulin, should you not increase the amount? Why does this happen? What can be done to help prevent the rejection?

Answer:

I do not understand the way you are using the word "rejecting." I think you are referring to a situation where the insulin you are injecting does not keep the blood sugars down. If this is the case, it may not be rejecting but inadequate amounts of insulin are being given to control the blood sugar and you may want to increase the dose. Type 2 diabetes does not remain the same disease over time. It changes based on any weight gain, activity change, loss of the pancreas' ability to secrete insulin over time, and any illnesses or medications.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2