From Fort Worth, Texas, USA:

Can hypoglycemia, in itself, physiologically cause weight gain or inability to lose weight? I know that the extra calories from eating more often can, but my question is, aside from that can the disease state cause fluctuations in weight?

As you suggest, the main problem with hypoglycemia is the increased intake of calories at times other than meals. Part of this is hard to avoid given the increased appetite drive when you have hypoglycemia. I do not know of any other mechanisms responsible for weight gain with hypoglycemia.