Question:

From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA:

I am very athletic and participate in a lot of activities. Basketball is my main love, I play all year round, but I want to slim down a little bit before basketball season starts. My mom and I want to try the Atkins' diet. I have heard a lot of success stories, and my friend's mom lost 100 pounds. Is it okay for someone with diabetes to go on this diet? I ask because I read that my blood sugar levels may be higher then normal. Is there anything I should be careful about?

Answer:

The Atkins' diet has not been tested in a scientifically rigorous fashion, but there are lots of report of its success. It requires a lot of dedication for people with type 1 diabetes to use such a diet since it means lots of close blood glucose monitoring and extreme adjustments of insulin doses with so much less carbohydrate. Depends upon how much weight needs to be lost and how easy or difficult is your day to day diabetes management now. Before you do this, you should discuss details with your diabetes team to get their advice since they know you well.

DTQ-20030306222851A
Posted to Weight and Weight Loss