Question:

From Linville, Virginia, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, controlled without medications. I take pills for hypothyroidism. I am taking 10 mg. of Lipitor [a medication for elevated lipid levels], and since started taking it, I seem to be gaining weight. They tried to increase the Lipitor to 20mg, but I could not tolerate it. Could the Lipitor cause weight gain?

Answer:

You don't mention how much weight you have gained and in what period of time, so I don't know how concerned you should be. I do suggest you go back to the doctor that prescribed the Lipitor to talk about it. There are many reasons that you could be gaining weight (I doubt it's the Lipitor), and a good check up can help determine why and what you can do about it.

JS

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss and Other Medications