Question:

From Jerusalem, Israel:

After using insulin injections for the past 15 years, I have just started pump therapy, and I am getting married in a few months, and I am concerned about what to do with sex. I want information about sex and diabetes, but I was too embarrassed to ask my doctor. Does the pump get in the way?

Answer:

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Sexual activity is like exercise and can lower the blood sugar. You may or may not find your insulin pump gets in the way during sexual relations. You may find that using a longer catheter and/or clipping the pump to the sheets so it doesn't fall down might be of help. If you find that the pump is in the way, talk to your doctor about disconnecting during sexual activities. People can usually disconnect for about an hour without a problem -- and if your blood sugar goes high, give some extra insulin when you reconnect.

Please do discuss this issue with your own physician. If you are uncomfortable discussing the issue with your physician, perhaps there is a nurse who you could speak to.

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Other Social Issues