Question:

From Romania:

My daughter has had diabetes for nine years, and everything was okay until this year. In the last two months, I have been to three hospitals, and I am desperate because her blood sugars will be good today and bad tomorrow. I am a doctor, and I know how to manage this illness (of course with the help of the hospital and other great doctors). However, my daughter cries all day and said that she wants to die because this is not a life to live. She said that I don't love her because I should let her die if I really love her.

The doctors tell me that all girls of her age do the same thing, but I haven't heard of such a thing. I pray to God for oral insulin because it would be more comfortable for her. I don't know how to speak anymore with her, I don't know what to say, and the psychiatrist couldn't talk to her -- she didn't listen.

Answer:

My heart goes out to you, and I know you love your child very much. As a mother, you must fight for your daughter and find another psychiatrist to assist you. Sometimes it takes several tries to find the right person. Your daughter may be really depressed, and it is important to have that checked.

Do not give up! Do not ignore her behavior as it is not normal for her age. Find another clinical person to help you locally, and please let us know what happens for you.

CMB

Posted to Behavior