Question:

From Allenhurst, Georgia, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, and I also have multiple sclerosis for which I take steroid shots times per week. My face is getting very ruddy looking and I bruise very easily, especially at shot sites, and that is severely limiting my injection sites. Is this common? Is this possibly a complication of my type 2 diabetes?

Answer:

It sounds more like complications related to the steroid injections. Weakening of the connective tissue structures in your body cause the blood vessels to be friable and break easily. That is why you bruise easily. The ruddy complexion is also a steroid side effect. These side effects of steroids are dose-related, common, and well described.

Posted to Other Medications