From Simpsonville, South Carolina, USA:

My family and I are moving to Nigeria, West Africa due to husband's employment, so we are trying to locate a pediatric endocrinologist either in Lagos, Nigeria or in the UK, but our endocrinologist is unable to assist us. Do you know of a resource or individual who might be able to assist us in locating an endocrinologist -- maybe those trained in US but living in UK or West Africa?

There are many excellent pediatric diabetes specialists in the UK. I would guess you will have to find an adult diabetes specialist in West Africa and then see if there is someone at the medical school there with experience in type 1 diabetes.

Many of our patients who travel/live overseas stay in touch with us via e-mail and/or fax and even telephone under such circumstances so you may want to discuss this with your current diabetes team. Either way you should identify local health care professionals for lab tests and any emergency care that may be needed.

[Editor's comment: There are diabetes organizations throughout the world (including Nigeria) that might be able to provide a referral. See Global Diabetes Organizations. Also, see Finding a New Diabetes Doctor for some other thoughts that might be of help in locating a specialist. WWQ]