Question:

From Spindale, North Carolina, USA:

My 13 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes for two and a half years, is doing pretty well, and I have read many of your answers about the progress toward a cure. Even if a cure is not found within my son't lifetime, how much progress is being made toward treating or eliminating the complications of diabetes so that it will at least be easier to live with?

Answer:

Enormous research work is going on around the world. You should join the American Diabetes Association and also the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Both have excellent material that will be mailed to you monthly from the ADA and quarterly from JDRF. Also, the ADA has an e-mail newsletter that will automatically update you as well. You can join both organizations electronically quite easily.