Question:

From Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA:

I have been told that I am insulin resistant. I am taking Glucophage XR along with premixed insulin twice daily, and my fasting blood sugars are over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. Is this common? Would an insulin pump put my diabetes under better control?

Answer:

Insulin resistance is very common in folks with type 2 diabetes who are also overweight. It sounds like your diabetes is not in good control, and you should either go back to your diabetes physician and set up a better monitoring program to help adjust your medications, increase your overnight insulin or some combination.

If you have not seen a diabetes nurse educator and diabetes trained dietitian, this would also be extremely worthwhile so that you can learn what you need to do to improve your health.

[Editor's comment: There's no reason to assume that an insulin pump would be of any specific benefit for this situation. WWQ]

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2