From London, United Kingdom:

I have a strong family history of diabetes, and about three months ago, I was diagnosed with impaired glucose tolerance which my general practitioner didn't seem to think was such a big deal and told me to come back in three months for another check. However, since then I have been doing my research and invested in a blood glucose meter. At the moment my fasting levels seem to range 4.7-6 mmol/L [85-108 mg/dl], and my two-hour post-meal levels 5.5 to 9 mmol/L [99-162 mg/dl]. What readings should I be expecting to see? Does this confirm the diagnosis of impaired glucose tolerance? Do these levels imply greater risks of developing diabetes or diabetic complications?

One of my concerns is that UK GPs are under such pressure that they tend to devote little time to anyone not visibly suffering from a heart attack. When I go back I want to be in a position to insist on the right level of care.

Yes, your sugar readings seem to confirm the previous diagnosis of impaired glucose tolerance and, given your family history of diabetes, I really understand your concern regarding your risk of developing diabetes and/or long term diabetes complications, in this case especially cardiovascular complications. Aside from getting a proper nutritional assessment to develop a meal plan to help you achieve ideal body weight, you should also check your blood lipids and your blood pressure, and ask for a cardiovascular consultation.