From Belfast, Northern Ireland:

I have had type 1 diabetes for less than 10 years, and I am developing lumps on both the palms of my hands (particularity the left) below the skin at the base of the fingers which can be quite painful at times. Is this a further symptom from diabetes?

This can be seen with diabetes. You can develop contractures of the tendons that control the fingers which can scar and form a fibrosis that is painful and limiting, in terms of function. I strongly suggest you speak with your physician to see if you are a candidate to have these surgically released.